Salary range: $80,000-95,000
AdLib, Inc., a Center for Independent Living in the heart of the Berkshires, is seeking a new Executive Director to lead the organization in its mission to empower and improve the lives of individuals with disabilities. The ideal candidate will have extensive disability advocacy and operations experience, familiarity with a hands-on, grassroots culture, and be comfortable reporting to a Board of Directors. Passion for improving the lives of people with disabilities and lived experience and/or extensive work with disability populations are a must; general familiarity with AdLib and its role in the community is preferable. Individuals who self-identify as members of the disability community are strongly encouraged to apply.
AdLib is a private, non-profit, community based, consumer controlled Independent Living Center founded upon the principles of the independent living movement. Its mission is to improve the lives of individuals with disabilities by fostering an environment where people with disabilities can lead independent, complete lives. AdLib offers a core set of consumer managed services, including advocacy, peer counseling, independent living skills training, information, referral, and transition for people with disabilities in Berkshire County. The majority of AdLib’s Board of Directors and employees are people with disabilities.
The Executive Director (ED) is primarily responsible for organizational growth and improvement and partners closely with the Board of Directors to chart the organization’s strategic response to an ever-increasing demand for the organization’s services. The ED provides leadership to a team of approximately 25 and is responsible for planning, staffing, and directing the affairs of the organization in accordance with the policies and objectives of the Board of Directors. The ED is responsible for community networking and conducting outreach to stakeholders, including other CILs, legislative agencies, and community-based organizations. In addition, the ED oversees AdLib’s fiscal strategies, including contract management and business development.
The AdLib ED is responsible for partnering with the Board of Directors to ensure the success of the organization, which includes managing the following:
• Fiscal soundness, which includes developing and monitoring the annual budget; overseeing successful grant submissions; overseeing contract negotiations, awards, and relationships; and overseeing fundraising activities.
• Internal administrative operations, including all aspects of human resources; compliance with employer state and federal laws; effective agency-wide communication and project management; and plant maintenance and improvements.
• Public relations and partnerships, including developing and executing messaging and participating in local, regional, and statewide community advocacy committees, task forces, and initiatives that further AdLib’s mission.
• Liaison to the Board of Directors, including attending Board meetings and ensuring routine communication with the Board so they are informed of the organization’s progress and obstacles and engaged in solution building.
• Other duties as assigned by the Board of Directors.
• Excellent communication skills, both written and oral, are essential to success in this position. In addition, the ED must be self-directed and motivated in work; have experience with and understanding of disability populations; have excellent leadership, empathy and interpersonal skills; have familiarity with state and federal contracts; be a proficient grant writer; and be able to respond to public and private funding solicitations and negotiate award terms.
• Minimum of a Bachelor’s degree in the Life Sciences, Behavioral Health, Social Work, Anthropology, or a relevant field of study is required; Master’s degree preferred.
• Minimum of 7+ years demonstrated experience in financial management, resource development, staff supervision, disability rights and advocacy preferred.
• Able to hold frequent and consistent in-person office hours at the AdLib office (Pittsfield, MA).
• Benefits offered include a competitive salary, retirement, flexible working schedule and paid time off.
• Travel expenses may be available for in-person candidate interview; relocation benefits may be provided.
AdLib, Inc. is committed to being an equal opportunity and affirmative action employer and recognizes the power of a diverse community. We strongly encourage applications from individuals with disabilities, veterans, and individuals with diverse perspectives and backgrounds, including Black, Indigenous and People of Color (BIPOC). All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to disability status, religion, race, color, national origin, protected veteran status, biological sex, gender identity, sexual orientation, pregnancy and pregnancy-related conditions, or any other characteristic protected by law.
Send cover letter and resume to: firstname.lastname@example.org