Center for Independent Living

PCA Information

AdLib is currently recruiting to fill openings on its PCA Consumer Advisory Board (CAB).

PCA Consumer Advisory Board (CAB)

AdLib is currently recruiting to fill openings on its PCA Consumer Advisory Board (CAB). Applicants must be a user of AdLib’s PCA services, a family member of a PCA consumer, or a Personal Care Attendant. The Consumer Advisory Board will discuss and provide input into the operation of AdLib’s Personal Care Management program as well as larger state-wide issues affecting MassHealth PCA consumers. These issues may include topics like Covid vaccine distribution, Electronic Visit Verification, and PCA overtime.

The purpose of the CAB is to gain direct consumer input about current issues facing users of the PCA Program. Through this input, AdLib will keep on top of current community issues; and make improvements to the center’s Personal Care Management Services Program. The CAB will meet at least quarterly. Because of the current health crisis, CAB meetings will be conducted via a Zoom video conference. Interested applicants should call or email AdLib.

Contact Us
PCA Consumer Advisory BoardAdlib CouncilPersonal Care Attendant
Center for Independent Living

COVID-19 Guidance for Personal Care Attendant Consumers

COVID-19 related information for MassHealth members and applicants. The Enrollment Centers are open for limited walk-in appointments.

PCA Employment

AdLib does not hire or employ PCA's.

The Mass PCA directory is sponsored by the Personal Care Attendant (PCA) Workforce Council and it offers a comprehensive and current list of people in Massachusetts who are ready to provide personal care and consumers who are hiring PCAs.

Mass PCA Directory
PCA Employment
Mass PCA Directory

Our Personal Care Attendant (PCA) program allows eligible individuals to hire personal care attendants to help them do the things they can’t do for themselves. Personal care attendants help disabled individuals get in and out of bed, bathe, dress, eat, and other Activities of Daily Living (ADLs), as well as prepare food, keep the house clean, food shop, and other Instrumental Activities of Daily Living (IADLs). This program keeps people independent, healthy, safe, and in their own homes–and the person with the disability is in charge of hiring and training (and firing, if necessary) their PCAs.

Frequently Asked Questions

At AdLib, we understand the importance of clear and accurate information. Our Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ) section is designed to provide you with quick and easy answers to the most common questions about PCAs.

Contact us
  • The individual must have MassHealth Standard or CommonHealth (if you are not currently eligible, we can discuss how you might become so).
  • The individual must have a chronic or permanent disability.

  • The individual must need physical (hands-on) assistance with at least two ADLs (mobility, bathing/grooming, dressing/undressing, passive range of motion exercises for keeping limbs and joints limber and flexible, taking medications, eating, and toileting).

MassHealth provides the funds to pay PCAs based on the amount of time approved.

Just about anyone can work as a PCA. Individuals can hire family members (except for a spouse, legal guardian, or surrogate), friends, neighbors, or folks they find through help wanted ads.

Do you think you, a family member, or a friend might benefit from Personal Care Attendant Services? Please call us 413-442-7047 with any questions.